Tuesday, February 9, 2010

45 Minutes x distance & thoughts...

After all the traveling today was officially back to WOD.

I ate a Gel and jump to the bike.

First 5 minutes went really slow. My legs were asking to stop, but I didn't and keep pushing.

I pushed, pushed and pushed.

Result: 45 minutes, distance 38.31km (23.80 miles).

Today data:
Garmin Connect - Activity Details for 45 Minutes x distance

Last 30 minutes x distance
Garmin Connect - Activity Details for 30 Minutes Bike

After this weekends experience with other Cross-fitters and knowing other people train habits, at least for me, now I have another perception of what 100% means.

Even when sometimes I thought I was pushing and giving 100%, now I'm not sure.

Don't get my wrong, this is a constructive criticism and what I saw on those kids (the sons of the owner of the box where the Cert. was held), that if you train always more that 100% (than means way beyond the line of no return) it pay off.

I don't know if this make a lot of sence for many of you, just want to share what I experience. I some way I discover a group of people who have being training for the last 6 years as hard as they possible can and believe me, the results are AMAZING!!!.

One of the kids (18years old) with no train at all more than 800mts. sprints, run a Marathon with 2 days notice. Result: 3 hours 20 minutes! He even was making phones calls during the race..

Other kid broke the Fran record at 2:30 (after the 3 official attempt IN THE SAME DAY!!!!, yes he did Fran 3 times in less than 24 hours!)

With all this I'm trying to say that I will be giving more and pushing more, trying harder and longer, I feel and think it pays off in the long run.

Sometimes when I'm training I'm saving a little bit of energy, just in case I need it, or maybe because I'm afraid of pushing all in and then at the middle of the WOD have to bail out. Or maybe is because I don't know what is my 100% because crossfit is new for me. Or maybe a combination of both.

Anyway, now I think I understand why some people puck after a WOD or just plunged on the floor, they don't relay on a safety net, they go all in no matter what.

Please let me know what your thought on this, I'm new to Crossfit but also new to triathlon, so any experience in this matter will help me.

Cheers!

Today data:
Garmin Connect - Activity Details for 45 Minutes x distance

Last 30 minutes x distance
Garmin Connect - Activity Details for 30 Minutes Bike

2 comments:

  1. Ariel,

    I'm new to Crossfit and learning more about my limits every day. This post and your observations definately help. Today was a good day, but I always have that lingering thought - was that everything I had? Could I have pushed harder? The problem with us reforming LSDers is that we are so used to conserving - to making sure that we leave something in the tank. It's a paradigm shift and unfortunately it takes more than a couple of workouts to reprogram ourselves. Based on what I'm reading in your blog and the others we are all starting to come to grips with this. Thank you for your observations.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Martin, as I am doing an activity, I also question myself - is this as good as I can do? I find myself adjusting during the activity if my answer is No. After the activity, I think it is only natural to ask that question again. But as good as any individual effort is for the day, I think we will always ask that same question - was this my best effort, could I have done more.

    ReplyDelete